Bone Bracelet with Square Beads, Zebra Pattern
Features & Benefits
Unique, recycled Fair Trade bracelet, featuring delicately crafted square bone beads with a zebra pattern.
• Made from waste cow bone. A sanding machine is used to shape the bone.
• The beads are then dyed and the patterns are created by hand with hot wax - a technique known as Batik.
• TIny black Maasai beads are threaded between each section, enhancing the detail of the item.
• The bracelet is elasticated, so is easy-on, easy-off and will fit most wrist sizes comfortably.
• Why not complement the look with a matching necklace and earrings, also available from our range? (See below)
This Fair Trade bracelet with square bone beads was hand crafted in Kenya - bringing you a distinctive product inspired by natural materials and displaying the vibrancy of African culture.
Dimensions - width 2 cm approximately.
Excel Concepts specialises in waste cow bone bead making.
It was started in 2005 by 4 young street boys who were trained on project start-up programmes. They have recently moved into a new premises in Kibera slum, on the outskirts of Nairobi, Kenya.
The aim of the project now is for it to become self sustainable.
They are now designing jewellery, manufacturing the actual beads and assembling the pieces, such as our beautiful Batik bone bracelet.
This project involves bringing change to the cow bone jewellery industry in Kibera slum, Nairobi. This craft industry has been around since the late 70’s and employs over 500 people in Nairobi. These workers are almost always underpaid and work with dangerous machinery and in dirty and unsafe workshops. Most of these workshops are based in the slums, including the workshop this project helped to start.
The work is highly skilled, yet the workers of this industry are often exploited, with middle men taking advantage of the fact many buyers are too scared to visit workshops in the slum.
The idea of this project is to set up and run an example workshop making Kenyan jewellery so that others locally can see the benefits of adhering to Fair Trade principles.